- Episode 34 “Cue Jitters”
- Going to a conference- how do you prepare?
- Prep Before:
- Business Cards, make sure you bring them
- Something to take notes with, your choice analog/digital
- Chargers for electronic devices
- Twitter handle- if you don’t have one make one. You miss half the conference without one.
- Comfy shoes and walking clothes
- Tools for going as a team?
- Meet before and decide on sessions.
- does it benefit you to split up to cluster into sessions?
- decide on a tool for communicating while at the conference
- text message, voxer, phone calls, emails
- Debrief each day and review the next day’s offerings
- How can we continue to collaborate while in different sessions?
- Google slides
- Take photos
- Meet before and decide on sessions.
- Etiquette for attending-
- Be active in your sessions, if you a have questions, ask.
- get the link or the handouts. Bookmark them in a folder so you can keep organized (or use google keep!)
- If you have a question that requires more than a one or two sentence answer, better to ask after the session, or by email/DM
- Documenting your journey
- Twitter handles and qr codes.
- Online resources
- Code Café (lessons learned)
- Don’t assume a challenge area will be used by a certain age group. Our Kinders went to the most challenging areas and thrived.
- Need more devices
- A Plus-Students were training each other
- shared story of student sick at home but wanted to come to school anyways because it was her turn in the Code Café
- Rainy days
- Sharing apps between grade levels-erasing progress, restarting app,
- Questions from the mailbag- Ascension Reyes-Technology Resource Teacher-De Anza Magnet School-El Centro Elementary
- How do you like Office365 and all of its features Onenote class notebook, Sway, Skype in the classroom, Forms, Microsoft classroom etc. in comparison to Google Apps for Education & Google Classroom?
- What does your district use?
- podcasts we are listening to
- check this out-Ryan and Brian long but has gems.
- learn with John Eick quick and to the point, and I love his excitement and sound effects
- Drunks and Dragons, Dark Secret Place special interest
- Cult of Pedagogy-Jennifer Gonzalez
- Ridgelife Podcast-Kyle Anderson
- Different styles and purposes of podcasts.
- long format conversational
- short format tips and tricks
- tips and news
- edtech focus or not
- different audiences- tailor your propose to that
CUE news updates (Tom-Vista) We first went to Vista RockStar in June 0f 2016. I believe we did a review of this conference back on Episode 19.
Digital Formative Assessment Options
- Microsoft Forms review (added quizzes) recently Microsoft Forms has added quizzes along side their survey.
- https://quizlet.com/teachers review. https://quizlet.com/livedemo
- https://getkahoot.com/ review.
- EdPuzzle- make video quizzes and get reports, free for teachers!
- Quizziz- easy and simple way to integrate tech
- Plickers with giveaway
In this episode, we get the second half of our interview with a surprise guest, Ryan O’Donnell, from the Check this out podcast. In this segment, we talk about personal PD, library books in the new tech world, Learning Management Systems, single sign on and why it is important, gradebooks, and out tech wished for the future.
Mike and I also go over the nuts and bolts of podcasting, where to go when you need help/inspiration/guidance.
We rely on
LibSyn (liberated Syndication, podcast hosting)
Stitcher, podbean, spreaker, podify, spreaker, soundcloud
- Happy New Year, how was break?
- ConnectedTL news. Now happening 3rd Tuesday of the month, partnering with CUE. There is still an active and thriving weekly voxer topic, but twitter chats will be limited to once a month.
- Resolutions- best tech resolutions for the year?
- Back-Up- both school and personal. It is best to have 3 different solutions. Would you want to lost those photos? There are nice online solutions through apple, google and android, and it doesn’t matter what tpe you do, the important thing is to do it!
- Passwords- Time to change your passwords. The average american only has 2 passwords and they use it for all of their accounts. Change it up, and if it is too much for you to remember, use a password generator, like lastpass, Symantec’s Secure Password Generator, dashlane, stickypassword, or password boss. Check out this great article for more info http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407168,00.asp
- Digitize your files! Move it to the cloud, we have a free service. It is 100% secure and no one else has access to your files. Also, you can access it from anywhere you can access the internet.
- Inbox Zero! A fantasy for some, a reality to others. Wy is inbox zero important? why is it even a thing? I keep my inbox at zero to know when I get new email can quickly address anything and it isn’t lost in a ton of SPAM. If it is SPAM, label it and get on with your inbox being cleaner. Check out this article about Inbox Zero for more details http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/05/why-some-people-cant-stand-having-unread-emails/394031/
- Update Apps and clean your phone! Make sure it is up to date, as that can help with performance issues and out of date apps can have vulnerabilities that let the bad guys in. You will thank me when you are all updated. This included backup and physical celaning of your phone. Think about it, your phone goes everywhere you do, and for some of us, that is EVERYWHERE! Think about that, your phone is filthy. It sits on counters and tables, in pocket sand on things that you would never let touch or face or mouth, yett your hands touch your phone. Then you touch your face or your food. Check out this article for more info, but get a clorox wipe and get to cleaning your phone first. https://www.phonesoap.com/how-dirty-are-cell-phones
- Review of the SAMR model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBce25r8vto
- Tools of the Trade-Getting sounds into your podcast. i-jingle pro
- What is it? Sound board for all kinds of sounds-intro music, clips, promos, drops, outro. Why use it? Saves time, all sounds and drops, intro and outro are done live. THis will save on editing tremendously. Helps with the “in the can” syndrome, were podcasts and sit and wait for post-production instead of being out and live.